Crease In My Toe

From now on until I come back to the U.S.A., this will be my official web log of my experience in China. Everyday is different and an adventure!

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Fast life and fast food in Beijing

June 3 Sunday
Met with Joyce, Vicki and Howard Hong in the AM. I jumped on two random buses (I think it was 403 then some other bus like 988 or 686) which miraculously took me where I needed to be. Could've taken a taxi, but it wouldn't have been as much fun.

By the way, usually when I ride the bus or train, I don't hold onto any bars or handles. First of all, because they're always dirty from other hands. Secondly, because it's fun to "surf" on the bus or train, which means I stand in the aisle and try not to move my feet by balancing the entire ride across town. It doesn't look strange bec. everyone else is crowded around you a few inches away. You should try it sometime.

Had lunch @ Bellagio with friend visiting from L.A. Vicki Chang and her cousin Vivian who works at Xin Kong (Guang) Tian Di Shopping Center on the southeast side. Then went shopping w/ them at the Silk Road (Xiu Shui) Market, which is the bazaar/market scene on speed. Confirmation that capitalism is alive and well in China. I bought three "European" dress shirts and one "Ferragamo" "leather" belt. I fully expect them to tear within a couple of months (one of the shirts already has this huge blemish on the front of it that I noticed after unwrapping it at home - lesson for next time - unwrap the crap in the shop!).

June 2 Saturday
Had afternoon coffee w/ new friend (via Beaver Kang) Nathan Chow, his wife Jian Wen and their daughter Meghan at Tasty Taste near Gong Ti Worker's Stadium. Met up w/ Joyce, Mona and Vicki Chang who'd just arrived from Hong Kong (and before that L.A. after leaving from Texas).

June 1 Friday
Crazy day (as usual) of meetings with colleagues and negotiations with BMW. Then visited the Beijing trendy "in" spot Vic's for the first time. What a scene. Mostly Chinese this time, but not without a good showing of people of European and African descent hitting on all the hot, wanna-be Chinese models and cute girls. Techno/trance/drum & bass/100% European music in one room, 100% American hip-hop in the other, which is where I stayed most of the night until after 4AM doing market research. Oh yeah, clubs don't close until after 6AM here, though the crowd was cleary thinning after 3AM.

May 29, 30, 31 - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Tuesday & Wed. were mad rush of meetings w/ BMW.
Thursday was meeting w/ a German brand Bogner, which is famous for premium/luxury ski-wear and the 80's film Fire & Ice.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger TheNeedyMother said…

    Oh my gosh. You sound like you're having such a great time. MIss you much, Creasetoe!

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Chris Nadolski said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    2 fast 2 furious!!! >:O
    live it up bro :)
    (hello government worker, dont stay up too late reading this, good luck and good health to you!)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Eliz said…

    wow! sounds insanely busy! we miss you... any chance you might come for a quick visit in November? ;)
    Eliz

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home